Sunday 19 June 2011

11 June 2011 Dr Sketchy Set List


/ Photo of me, selecting what records to play at Dr Sketchy. No, seriously it's 1950s vintage beefcake physique model (winner of Mr Muscle Beach 1951) and sometimes actor (his filmography includes Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953), Wild Women of Wongo (1958) and Colossus and The Amazon Queen (1960) Ed Fury: he looks like a right laugh, huh? I wonder if he's a distant relation of Billy Fury's? /

This was a typically raucous and laidback Saturday afternoon Dr Sketchy at The Old Queen’s Head in Angel. The emcee was the suave-tastic Hooray Henry Higgins and the model/performer was the ultra-glamorous Annette Bette. A very talented member of the audience took some great moody and dramatic photos of the afternoon. Here are two shots of Annette Bette in action where the photographer accidentally managed to get me looking gormless in the frame. (I love the detail of the martini glass in the foreground).




See the full set on the photographer's flickr page.

Musically I launched straight into raunch mode with the single entendre smut of “Ice Man” by Filthy McNasty. Later on just to amuse myself, I paid homage to one of my all-time favourite films (Kenneth Angers’s 1964 avant-garde homoerotic biker / occult art movie Scorpio Rising. That film really warped me at an impressionable age!) by playing a cluster of songs from its soundtrack (“Devil in Disguise" by Elvis, “Fools Rush In” by Ricky Nelson and “Torture” by Kris Jensen, in case you’re curious).

Ice Man - Filthy McNasty
Cooler Weather is A-Comin' - Eddie Weldon
Nobody But You - Mamie van Doren
The Grunt - The 50 Milers
Love Potion No 9 - Nancy Sit
Monkey Bird - The Revels
Kiss Me Honey Honey - The Delmonas
The D-Rail - The Flintales
Drive Daddy Drive - Little Sylvia
Club Delight - Jack Jolly
The Swag - Link Wray
I Only Have Eyes for You - The Flamingos
Blame it On My Youth - Ann-Margret
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes - The Mallet Men
Dancing on the Ceiling - Chet Baker
Let There Be Love - Diana Dors
The Bouelvard of Broken Dreams / Fever - Sam Butera
Work Song - Nina Simone
Intoxicated Man - Serge Gainsbourg
Makin' Whoopee - Marlene Dietrich
A Week from Tuesday - The Pastels
Work with It - Que Martin
The Squeezer - Big Bob Dougherty
Cherry Pink - The Bill Black Combo
Anasthasia - The Bill Smith Combo
Summertime - Little Esther
Love Me or Leave Me - Lena Horne
Drive In - The Jaguars
Shangri-La - Spike Jones New Band
Yes, Sir That's My Baby - Ann Richards
Crawlin' - The Untouchables
Beat Party - Ritchie & The Squires
Close Your Eyes - Dolores Gray
Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend - Eartha Kitt
Womp Womp - Freddie & The Heartaches
Rigor Mortis - The Gravestone Four
Go Slow - Julie London
Sexe - Line Renaud
Town without Pity - James Chance
Teardrops from My Eyes - Ruth Brown
I Live the Life I Love - Esquerita
De Castrow - Jaybee Wasden
Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley
Fools Rush In - Ricky Nelson
Fujiyama Mama - Annisteen Allen
Torture - Kris Jensen
Dragon Walk - The Noblemen
Last Night - Lula Reed
Jezabel - Edith Piaf
Strip-tease - Juliette Greco
Kiss - Marilyn Monroe
Caravan - John Buzon Trio
Wondrous Place - Billy Fury
The Beast - Milt Buckner
All of Me - Mae West
Night Walk - The Swingers
Willow Weep for Me - The Whistling Artistry of Muzzy Marcellino
The Girl Who Invented Rock'n'Roll - Mamie van Doren
Sometimes I Wish I Had a Gun - Mink Stole
Tall Cool One - The Wailers
Daddy Daddy - Ruth Brown
The Girl Can't Help It - Little Richard
One Night of Sin - Elvis Presley
Beat Girl - Adam Faith (Beat Girl soundtrack)
Chattanooga Choo Choo - Denise Darcel
Sweet Little Pussycat - Andre Williams
The Whip - The Originals
Esquerita & The Voola - Esquerita
Take It Off - The Genteels
Suey - Jayne Mansfield
Groovy - The Groovers
Pussycat Song - Connie Vannett
The Stalk - The Giants

I don't think I've posted this tittyshaker already.




/ Ed Fury knocking up drinks behind the bar. Hmmm: Canada Dry Ginger Ale? I hope he’s making Moscow Mules /

1 comment:

  1. I'll listen to whatever Mister Fury is playing and I'll drink whatever he's pouring!!

    Great playlist & tittyshaker too...

    ReplyDelete