Sunday, 7 August 2011

3 August 2011 Cockabilly DJ Set List



Who says smoking isn't sexy? The dreamy pairing of James Dean and Sal Mineo in Nicholas Ray's Rebel without a Cause (1955). Photo shamelessly stolen from the ever-wondrous A Queens' queen blog.

It’s always a blast to guest DJ at Cockabilly (London’s only queer rockabilly night!) at the reliably louche George and Dragon in Shoreditch. (The other guest DJ was the awe-inspiring Beyondadoubt, Beth Ditto’s tour DJ).



It was an incredibly hot night, so I was drenched in sweat (my hair was soaking wet!) and pounding back lager for my entire hour-long set. I managed to incorporate frantic hillbilly, sleazy instrumentals, female-fronted rockabilly (Wanda Jackson, Sparkle Moore, Janis Martin, Shirley Cadell), punk (X, The Sex Pistols) and even a tribute to the late Amy Winehouse (Wanda Jackson’s great cover of “You Know I’m No Good”). My only regret is I didn’t crank the volume up even LOUDER: when Beyondabout came on right after me, she blasted everyone’s faces off with her soul 45’s! Ah, well – lesson learned. It was a great night and well worth the following day’s agonising hangover. (That final pint at The Joiners Arms with Marc and the two Alexes afterwards might have been ill-advised -- fun, though)


Willie Joe - The Mystery Trio
Deuces Wild - Link Wray
Poor Little Critter on the Road - The Knitters
Chicken Walk - Hasil Adkins
Big Bounce - Shirley Cadell
Bang Bang - Janis Martin
Lonesome Me - Johnny Cash
Tongue-Tied Jill - Charlie Feathers
Dancing with Tears in My Eyes - X
Tunnel of Love - Wanda Jackson
Whistle Bait - The Collins Kids
Rock Around the Clock - The Sex Pistols
Esquerita and The Voola - Esquerita
Dragon Walk - The Noblemen
Boss - The Rumblers
Scorpion - The Carnations
Killer - Sparkle Moore (screaming version)
Stranger in My Own Hometown - The Earls of Suave
The Girl Can't Help It - Little Richard
De Castrow - Jaybee Wasden
Beat Generation - Mamie van Doren
Beat Party - Ritchie & The Squires
You Know I'm No Good - Wanda Jackson
Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley
Bop Pills - Macy "Skip" Skipper


Let's see how long this photo stays here before Photobucket deletes it ...

1950s cowboy demonstrates how to wash jeans. Not sure he gives them sufficient time to dry, though.

1 comment:

  1. Damn!
    I wish I was a man of means, as I would love to be at a show & be a part of the throng....

    I sure that Levi's 501's were shrink to fit...
    (oh, who the hell am I kidding, when I got new jeans I'd wear them to the beach, go swimming, and let them dry on my young body...)

    Thanks for the shout out!
    loving Sal!!!

    ReplyDelete